Monday, December 24, 2012

My December













I have been a bad blogger lately. But my excuse is that it's December, otherwise known as the busiest month of the year. Now that I have a decent vacation, I am going to try to blog more.

When you are younger, December has such a different meaning. For me, it always meant my birthday, lots of cake, cards from my parents, and Christmas. Lovely, wonderful Christmas. A time when our home smelled like pine, my parents played Amy Grant Christmas music and my sister and I were actually nice to each other. On Christmas Eve we were allowed to open one gift to whet our appetite. And a little secret I've never told anyone -- I used to stay up on Christmas Eve and just write. I remember doing that a lot. I would journal until midnight, until it was Christmas, because I wanted to be awake during Christmas day as long as possible, to really soak it all in.

But at 28, December feels so different. So rushed, so busy. I get angry over traffic, parking at the mall, not having any money and being unsure of what to buy and how much to spend. Something got lost in the years between.

Now that I have a minute to reflect and catch my breath, I see the sadness in that. But at the same time, I am glad that on Christmas Eve Day I have found my way back to this blog, to writing. And as I type I am listening to Amy Grant. And although I didn't have time to get a tree this year, I am still surrounded by decorations, by the love of those I am closest to. And I am so grateful, so thankful. It has been a year of blessings, and I am happy. When you're small you want nothing more than for it to always be Christmas at your family's house, and to live in that memory forever. While that is not possible, it is good to know that life, as unplanned (and often hectic as it is) can deliver those same happy, safe feelings in unexpected ways. Despite all the twists and turns, I have always found my way back to writing, to family and to those songs that remind me what everything in life is really all about.

The pictures above are from my December. It was full of surprises (an iPod Nano from my bf, a birthday office prank from my new co-workers), nights with friends at good restaurants (Brasserie Pascal in Newport), champagne all around, shopping (coats from Juicy Couture and shoes from Kate Spade), a trip to Crumbs (of course!), and lots of glitter (picture taken from my work trip to G the Body Art Professionals).

I wish you all the Merriest, most blessed of Christmases. I hope you take the time to cherish all you have and those around you <3 nbsp="nbsp" p="p">

2 comments:

  1. While your Christmas this year might not have been like the ones from your youth, it looks to me like you had a wonderful December full of fun celebrations and good cheer! How could you not? You, my friend are one of those people that a party will gravitate towards... You bring all that wonderful energy with you wherever you go, whether it's Christmas or the Fourth of July - enjoy!!! xoxo Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... So grab a pen and a blank journal, and start that tradition once again! You could use it just for Christmas Eves... and then, when you'll be older, it'll be such a wonderful, sweet memento.
    Hugs to you, dear Beth!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete